What to do in case of a car theft with Mexican license plates
It does not happen often, but in Mexico, as in other countries, cars are stolen. If your car is stolen, an insurance policy that protects the investment to buy another vehicle of the same value provides peace of mind. The claims process in Mexico is different than in the USA or Canada so it is very important to know the steps to take for the insurance claim process to be as painless as possible. Here's what to do if your car is stolen, the documents you'll need, how long it will take to settle your claim, what support your insurance agent can give you, and how to protect your next car from being stolen.
Steps to take as soon as you find out your car was stolen.
- 1. Call 911 to report the theft. 911 is the number in Mexico to call for emergencies and to notify the authorities of a vehicle theft. A police officer will go to where the car was stolen and take your statement. The police officer will contact the Public Ministry office and they will create the official report.
- 2. Next, call your insurance company to report the theft using the phone number on the front page of your policy. Tell the adjuster the police have already met with you and filed a theft report with the Public Ministry office.
- 3. Your insurance company will request a copy of the report from the Public Ministry’s office.
- 4. The Public Ministry’s investigation takes 30 days from the date the theft was reported.
- 5. After 30 days, the Public Ministry’s office will contact your insurance company to notify them the investigation has been completed and your claim can be paid.
- 1. The original invoice (factura), which is similar to the vehicle pink slip in the states, will need to be signed over to the insurance company once requested.
- 2. Annual registration for the vehicle for the last 5 years.
- 3. Copy of auto insurance policy.
- 4. Utility bill in your name (no more than 3 months old).
- 5. CERTIFIED copy of the Investigation Folder with accreditation of ownership, provided by the Public Ministry’s office.
- 6. Copy of the header of your bank statement for the insurance company to process the payment.
Support from your Insurance Agent
As you can see, the claims process is very different than in the USA or Canada. It is important to have an experienced bilingual insurance agent IN MEXICO to guide you through this process. Legally, your insurance agent cannot intervene in any of the paperwork during the process, however they can advise you by explaining what documents you are missing and support you in verbal communication in English with adjusters and your insurance company. Your agent can also put pressure on the insurance company if there is any delay in their response.
It is very important that you have the Rental Car or Replacement Car coverage in your policy paid by the insurance company with a minimum period of 30 days.
Protect your Auto
There are numerous anti-theft systems and devices designed to make vehicles harder to steal or easier to track and recover. Here are some examples of how some of them work:
- • Audible or Visual Alarm Devices: Some of these devices, such as the horn alarm, prevent theft by drawing attention to an attempt to steal or break into a vehicle. Audible and visual alarm devices create a visible threat/warning/alert, such as the use of steering wheel locks, in addition to anti-theft tags, flashing lights, and window warnings.
- • Immobilizer-type devices: These prevent thieves from bypassing the vehicle's ignition system and starting it without the key. Some incorporate computer chips into the ignition keys or disable the flow of electricity or fuel to the engine.
- • Vehicle Recovery Systems: These devices use electronic transmission technology that helps law enforcement officials reveal the location of stolen vehicles and possibly catch the thief in the act.
Contact Novamar Insurance Mexico and we will gladly review your current automobile insurance policy and make recommendations to ensure your investment is properly protected. Giving you the peace of mind you will be compensated to buy another vehicle, and not be left without a car while you go through the claim process with the insurance company.
México - 322-297-6440
USA / CANADA - 949-274-4111